A simple tutorial how to download all media from WordPress blog. The reason I use this method is because, I wanted to transfer all the media specifically from XXX.files.wordpress.com domain into my other web host. And due to limitation of free account users, I couldn’t access the media files by using any third party file manager such as FTP.
What we need:
1) Login to your WordPress.com account and export “All content” (My Sites > WP Admin > Tools > Export) — Save the exported file to a location where you can find it, easily
2) Rename the saved XML file (usually <your_name>.wordpress.<date>.xml) to HTML extension (e.g: <your_name>.wordpress.<date>.html) — If there is a rename warning prompted, just click Yes
3) Open the renamed HTML file with Mozilla Firefox (Don’t panic with the content :-)), right click inside the opened file and choose DownThemAll! from menu
4) At DownThemAll! – Make Your Selection screen, do the following:
- Click on Links tab
- Save Files in: Locate your desired directory to save
- Renaming Mask: *subdirs**name*.*ext*
- Fast Filtering: https://<your_subdomain_name>.files.wordpress.com
- Click Start!
- Sit back and relax 🙂